DEVOTIONAL TITLE: THE IDOL OF PRIDE!
Dethroning self and enthroning God.
Convicting, Reflective, Redemptive.
Focus: Repentance from pride and return to humility.
KEY VERSES:
“God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” — James 4:6 (KJV)
“Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.” — Proverbs 16:18
DEVOTIONAL MESSAGE:
Pride is a subtle idol, it often dresses in confidence, success, and spirituality.
It convinces us we are self-made, that we deserve the credit, the spotlight, the throne.
But in God’s kingdom, pride is rebellion.
It’s not just an attitude, it’s an idol.
An idol that says:
“I don’t need God, I’ve got this.”
“I’m better than them, I’m more important.”
“God should understand, this is just who I am.”
That’s not boldness, that’s blindness.
ILLUSTRATION:
Lucifer’s Fall
The very first sin wasn’t committed on earth, it was in heaven.
Lucifer, the angel of light, looked at his beauty, wisdom, and position and said:
“I will ascend... I will exalt my throne... I will be like the Most High.” (Isaiah 14:13–14)
And God cast him down.
If pride could remove an archangel from heaven, what makes us think we’re immune?
Pride is the spirit of Satan, and wherever it lives, God will not dwell.
SIGNS OF THE IDOL OF PRIDE:
-
Taking offense easily
-
Needing constant recognition or control
-
Looking down on others
-
Refusing correction
-
Being unteachable or defensive
-
Self-glory in ministry or service
-
Silent competition or comparison with others
Even spiritual pride, feeling superior because of your gifts, discipline, or revelations is still pride.
CALL TO REPENTANCE:
Today, God is calling us to tear down the idol of pride and return to the cross, where all are equal, where all must kneel, and where only Jesus is lifted high.
Ask yourself:
-
Do I crave attention more than obedience?
-
Do I listen to correction, or do I reject it with excuses?
-
Do I honor others, or secretly compete with them?
Humility isn’t thinking less of yourself.
It’s thinking of yourself less and thinking of Christ more.
PRAYER OF REPENTANCE:
FATHER,
I confess that I have entertained pride in my heart.
I’ve taken credit, sought glory, and exalted self where You alone should reign.
Forgive me, Lord.
Break the idol of pride in my life.
Strip away my self-sufficiency, and clothe me with humility.
Let me walk in the footsteps of Jesus, gentle, meek, and surrendered.
I enthrone You again, and I step down from the throne of self.
In Jesus’ name, Amen.
REFLECTION SCRIPTURES:
-
Philippians 2:5–9 – Jesus humbled Himself… even to death on the cross.
-
Proverbs 11:2 – With pride comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.
-
Isaiah 2:11 – The proud look of man will be brought low… and the LORD alone will be exalted.
-
1 Peter 5:6 – Humble yourselves… that He may exalt you in due time.
TODAY’S HEART CHECK:
Take a quiet moment.
Ask the Holy Spirit:
“Where has pride hidden in me?”
Then listen.
Write it down.
Confess it.
And surrender it at the feet of Jesus.
CLOSING DECLARATION:
“I tear down the idol of pride.
I refuse to worship myself.
I bow to Jesus, the humble King.
I choose the way of the cross, the way of grace, the way of humility.
I will live low, so Christ can be lifted high in me!”
No comments:
Post a Comment