Saturday, July 19, 2025

WHO OR WHAT IS YOUR GOD?

DEVOTIONAL TITLE: WHO OR WHAT IS YOUR GOD?

Identifying and dethroning modern-day idols

Returning wholehearted worship to the One true God

Reflective, Convicting, Restorative


KEY VERSES:

“You shall have no other gods before Me.”Exodus 20:3 

“Little children, keep yourselves from idols.” — 1 John 5:21


DEVOTIONAL MESSAGE:

It’s easy to say, “God is my God.

But the real test is this:

Who has your heart? 

Your trust? 

Your time? 

Your obedience?

Gods aren’t always golden calves or carved statues.

Sometimes, they’re things that take God’s place in our hearts:

  • That relationship we can’t let go of

  • A career we prioritize over obedience

  • The applause we secretly crave

  • The money we trust more than God's provision

  • The phone, social media, or habits that rule our emotions

Whatever you run to for comfort, security, validation, or control, that’s your god.

God is not only asking, “Do you believe in Me?”


He’s asking:

Am I truly your God… or have you made something else god in your life?”

We are wired to worship. If it’s not God, it will be something else:

success, money, relationships, popularity, control, even ministry.

And whatever you trust the most, fear to lose the most, or obey without question, that is your god.


ILLUSTRATIONS:

Abraham & Isaac

Abraham waited years for a son.

Isaac was the fulfillment of God’s promise.

But then God asked the unimaginable:

“Take now your son, your only son Isaac, whom you love… and offer him as a sacrifice.” (Genesis 22:2)

Why would God ask that?

Because even good things, like promises, blessings, children, ministries, can become idols if they replace God in our hearts.

God wasn’t trying to kill Isaac, He was revealing whether Abraham had replaced God with Isaac.

Would Abraham worship the gift more than the Giver?


The Rich Young Ruler (Mark 10:17–22)

A man ran to Jesus, knelt down, and asked how to inherit eternal life.

He had religion, morality, and respect, but Jesus saw deeper.

Jesus said:

“Go, sell what you have and give to the poor… then come, follow Me.”

And the man went away sad, not because he didn’t believe Jesus, but because he loved his wealth more.

His real god was money.

He wanted Jesus plus his idol.
But Jesus doesn’t take second place.
He wants to be all or nothing.


SEARCH YOUR HEART – Who/What Is Your God?

Ask yourself:

  • What do I turn to first in pain, prayer or distraction?

  • What do I fear losing the most?

  • What am I always striving for, even at the cost of obedience?

  • What consumes my thoughts, time, or money the most?

  • Who do I trust to validate me, God or people?


TODAY’S HEART CHECK:

Ask yourself:

  • What’s the one thing I cannot give up, even if God asks?

  • What do I think about the most?

  • What drives my decisions, God’s voice, or fear of man?

  • Who do I aim to please, God, or others?


CALL TO REPENTANCE:

God is not angry, He’s jealous for your heart.

God is calling us today to dethrone every false god.

He wants to be first again not second, not shared.

Today, the Spirit of God is asking you:

Who or what is your god?” 

Tear down every idol, and return to Me.”

Repentance isn’t just saying “I’m sorry.”
It’s saying I surrender.

It's giving up what replaced Him and giving Him back His throne.

“Repent, and turn from your idols; turn your faces away from all your abominations.” — Ezekiel 14:6

Break the altars. Burn the idols.

God wants you wholly His, not half-hearted.


PRAYER OF REPENTANCE:

LORD,

I confess I have allowed things and people to take Your place.

I have bowed to fear, pride, comfort, and approval more than to You.

Forgive me. Cleanse me.

Today, I tear down every idol in my heart.

Be the only God I worship, the only voice I follow.

I return to You in full surrender.

You alone are worthy.

In Jesus’ name, Amen.


REFLECTION SCRIPTURES:

  • Matthew 6:24 – “No one can serve two masters…”

  • Deuteronomy 6:5 – “Love the Lord your God with all your heart…”

  • Ezekiel 14:3 – “…these men have set up idols in their hearts.”

  • Matthew 22:37–38 – “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind.”

  • Isaiah 42:8 – "I will not share My glory with another, nor My praise to idols."

  • Jeremiah 2:13 – "They have forsaken Me, the fountain of living waters…"

  • Colossians 3:5 – "Put to death… greed, which is idolatry."


TODAY'S CHALLENGE:

Take 10 quiet minutes.

Ask the Holy Spirit:

Who or what has taken Your place in my heart?”

Be honest. Write it down.

Then confess, surrender, and ask Him to take the throne again.

CLOSING DECLARATION:

I renounce every idol!

I surrender every rival!! 

Jesus, You alone are my God, now and forever!!! 

Amen!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

YOUR ETERNAL INHERITANCE IN CHRIST

THE WORDS OF TRUTH DAILY DEVOTIONAL September 14th, 2026 𝕋𝕀𝕋𝕃𝔼 : YOUR ETERNAL INHERITANCE IN CHRIST ANCHOR SCRIPTURE “To an inherita...