DEVOTIONAL TITLE: WHAT A FRIEND WE HAVE IN JESUS!
KEY VERSE:
“Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. You are My friends if you do whatever I command you.” — John 15:13–14 (NKJV)
DEVOTIONAL MESSAGE:
Friendship in today’s world often comes with conditions. Many friendships fade when tested by hardship, truth, or distance. But Jesus, the Friend above all friends, remains unchanging, ever-present, faithful, and full of grace.
He doesn’t merely call us servants, He calls us friends.
Not because we earned it, but because He laid down His life for us.
What kind of friend offers mercy when you fail?
Or walks with you even when you've walked away?
Only Jesus.
ILLUSTRATION:
Peter’s Denial and Restoration
Peter, Jesus’ close disciple, denied Him three times (Luke 22:61).
Imagine the pain, the eyes of Jesus locking with Peter’s as the rooster crowed.
Yet after the resurrection, Jesus didn’t avoid him.
Instead, by the Sea of Galilee, Jesus restored Peter with gentle questions:
“Do you love Me?” (John 21)
What a Friend, He seeks to restore, not reject.
He forgives our failures and invites us back into fellowship.
CALL TO REPENTANCE:
Have you drifted away from Jesus, your Friend, Savior, and Lord?
Have you taken His love for granted?
Have you shared every burden with others, but left Him out?
He is still waiting. Still loving. Still calling.
“Behold, I stand at the door and knock…” — Revelation 3:20
Today, repent of any indifference, neglect, or betrayal of His friendship.
PRAYER OF REPENTANCE:
Lord Jesus,
You’ve been a Friend to me when I didn’t deserve it.
You stayed when others walked away.
You carried my pain, my shame, my sin, and still called me Your friend.
Forgive me for the times I’ve ignored You, doubted You, or replaced You.
Today, I return to You.
Draw me close again.
Teach me to walk with You, talk with You, and love You as my truest Friend.
In Jesus name, Amen.
REFLECTION SCRIPTURES:
-
Proverbs 18:24 – “There is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.”
-
Hebrews 4:15–16 – “We have a High Priest who sympathizes with our weaknesses…”
-
James 2:23 – “Abraham believed God… and he was called the friend of God.”
-
John 15:15 – “I have called you friends…”
TODAY’S CHALLENGE:
-
Spend time today sharing your heart with Jesus, not in ritual, but in friendship.
-
Write Him a letter or prayer expressing your gratitude.
-
Restore that place of friendship where He is first in your heart again.
CLOSING DECLARATION:
“Jesus is my truest Friend.
He loved me, died for me, and walks with me.
I will not walk alone, because I walk with Him.”
No comments:
Post a Comment