THE WORDS OF TRUTH DAILY DEVOTIONAL
September 7th, 2025
𝕋𝕀𝕋𝕃𝔼:
DO NOT LOVE IN WORD!
KEY VERSE
“My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.” – 1 John 3:18 (KJV)
DEVOTIONAL MESSAGE
True love for God is not measured by lip service, empty promises, or occasional religious rituals.
The Lord seeks a love that is demonstrated in obedience, sacrifice, devotion, and loyalty.
Jesus said,
“If you love me, keep my commandments” (John 14:15).
To love God is not merely to say “Lord, Lord” but to live in submission, holiness, and worship of Him alone. Empty words without corresponding actions are hypocrisy.
God desires a people who love Him wholeheartedly, with all their heart, soul, mind, and strength (Mark 12:30).
CHARACTERISTICS OF TRUE LOVE FOR GOD
-
Obedience – “If ye love me, keep my commandments.” (John 14:15)
-
Exclusive Devotion – “You shall have no other gods before Me.” (Exodus 20:3)
-
Sacrifice – “Present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God.” (Romans 12:1)
-
Consistency – “Continue ye in my love.” (John 15:9)
-
Fear of the Lord – “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.” (Proverbs 9:10)
-
Joyful Service – “Serve the Lord with gladness.” (Psalm 100:2)
-
Love Expressed in Action – “Be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only.” (James 1:22)
ILLUSTRATIONS
1. The Two Sons
A father told his two sons to work in his vineyard.
One said, “Yes, father” but never went. The other said, “I will not,” but later repented and went.
-
Lesson: Words without action mean nothing to God. True love is proven in obedience (Matthew 21:28–31).
2. The Bride with Empty Vows
A bride at her wedding recited loving vows but later lived carelessly, disregarding her husband.
Her words on the altar became empty.
-
Lesson: Loving God only in word but not in life is spiritual adultery. True covenant love is expressed in daily faithfulness.
CALL TO REPENTANCE
Have you been professing love for God with your lips but denying Him in your actions, priorities, and choices?
Today, God calls you to repent and return to your first love (Revelation 2:4).
PRAYER OF REPENTANCE
Heavenly Father,
I confess that I have often loved You in word but not in deed.
Forgive my lip service, my divided heart, and my compromises.
Today, I rededicate myself to You in sincerity.
I choose to love You with my whole heart, soul, mind, and strength.
Let my life be evidence of my love for You.
In Jesus’ name, Amen.
REFLECTION SCRIPTURES
-
Deuteronomy 6:5 – You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength.
-
John 14:15 – If you love Me, keep My commandments.
-
1 John 5:3 – For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome.
-
Matthew 15:8 – These people draw near to Me with their mouth, And honor Me with their lips, But their heart is far from Me.
-
Romans 12:1 – I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service.
-
Psalm 31:23 – Oh, love the Lord, all you His saints! For the Lord preserves the faithful, And fully repays the proud person.
-
Revelation 2:4-5 – Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love. [5] Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place—unless you repent.
HYMN
My Jesus, I Love Thee
~ William Ralph Featherston (1864)
1. My Jesus, I love thee, I know thou art mine;
for thee all the follies of sin I resign;
my gracious Redeemer, my Savior art thou;
if ever I loved thee, my Jesus, 'tis now.
2. I love thee because thou hast first loved me
and purchased my pardon on Calvary's tree;
I love thee for wearing the thorns on thy brow;
if ever I loved thee, my Jesus, 'tis now.
3. I'll love thee in life, I will love thee in death,
and praise thee as long as thou lendest me breath,
and say when the deathdew lies cold on my brow:
If ever I loved thee, my Jesus, 'tis now.
4. In mansions of glory and endless delight,
I'll ever adore thee in heaven so bright;
I'll sing with the glittering crown on my brow:
If ever I loved thee, my Jesus, 'tis now.
TODAY’S CHALLENGE
Examine your love for God.
Are your words supported by your actions?
Choose one practical way today to demonstrate your love for God, through obedience, sacrifice, or service.
DEEP REFLECTION
Loving God in word alone is deception.
The test of true love is not found in speech but in daily living.
Does your lifestyle reflect loyalty to God alone, or do you love Him only on Sundays?
True love for the Almighty is seen in surrender, obedience, and sacrifice.
CLOSING DECLARATION
Today, I declare that my love for the Lord will not be empty words.
I will live out my devotion through obedience, holiness, and sacrifice.
My heart, soul, mind, and strength belong to God alone.
By His grace, I will love Him faithfully until the end.
PRAYER POINTS
-
Father, thank You for first loving me with an everlasting love, in the name of Jesus.
-
Lord, forgive me for every lip service and shallow devotion, in the name of Jesus.
-
Holy Spirit, purify my heart and help me to love God in sincerity, in the name of Jesus.
-
Lord, deliver me from every idol competing for my love, in the name of Jesus.
-
Father, give me grace to walk in obedience to Your Word daily, in the name of Jesus.
-
Lord Jesus, ignite in me a fresh passion and hunger for You, in the name of Jesus.
-
Father, help me to live a sacrificial life that honors You, in the name of Jesus.
-
Lord, make my life a living testimony of genuine love for You, in the name of Jesus.
-
Father, restore to me my first love and keep me steadfast in faith, in the name of Jesus.
-
Lord, let my words, actions, and thoughts glorify You always, in the name of Jesus.
No comments:
Post a Comment